12 Must Do’s Before Moving
You’ve found your dream home and now it’s time to prepare for the big move! Moving might seem like a stressful endeavour but with the right planning ahead of time your move can be smooth and painless. To make things even easier for you, we’ve cumulated a list of ‘Must Do’s Before Moving,’ to make sure you’ve covered all your bases in the weeks prior to your move!
- Create a Moving Binder or Google Doc: Use either a binder or a Google Doc to keep all your checklists and documentation in order. This will be your main point of reference when navigating your move and will keep all your important information organized and easily accessible if it’s all labelled and sectioned in one place. Your move-in binder or Google Doc will not only include your checklists but also important contact info, documents such as any moving quotes, receipts and bills.
- Take Inventory of What Needs Packing & What Needs Pitching: Do a thorough evaluation of your home and determine what will follow you to your next home and what you plan to donate, throw away or sell. Once you’ve decluttered and organized an inventory of what you intend to keep, make a final checklist to refer to on move-in day so your sure nothing gets forgotten.
- Collect Moving Supplies: You’re going to need plenty of moving supplies as you begin packing. Start collecting items like boxes and bins for storing your personal belongings. You can purchase boxes or visit your grocer and ask them if they have any boxes they can provide for free. You’ll also need supplies for sealing and labelling your storage containers and the items inside. Items like scissors, tape, packing paper, bubble wrap, highlighters and markers can all be purchased online or at your local department store. You may also have luck finding extra newspaper at neighbourhood recycling centre.
- Arrange a Mover: You’ll want to get quotes from at least 3 different movers prior to hiring a mover and go with someone with reasonable rates, but more importantly a proven track record and excellent reviews! Once you’ve determined the best movers for the job, be sure to book them at least 6 weeks in advance of your move to ensure everything is in order on moving day.
- Transfer Policies & Setup Insurance: Be sure to get moving insurance to cover any potential damage during your move. You should also contact your insurance provider to transfer any relevant policies.
- Setup Utilities, Cable & Internet: 4 weeks prior to your move, contact your Internet, cable and utilities provider and make sure your home is setup up with all the necessary services before your move in!
- Start Packing: It’s always better to start packing sooner rather than later. It’s recommended to begin packing at least 3 weeks prior to your move so nothing is left to last minute. Organize your boxes and try colour coding labels and assigning colours to specific rooms. Disassemble larger furniture items, and roll your clothing instead of folding to avoid wrinkles and to save storage room.
- Change Your Address where Necessary: At least two weeks prior to moving, fill out a change of address form with Canada post and also inform any agencies, companies or memberships you may be affiliated with about your address change. Also be sure to change your address on your driver’s license, car insurance and vehicle registration as well as any official government registration.
- Arrange Sitters: If you have pets or children, be sure to arrange sitters for the day of the move so all you have to juggle are moving responsibilities on the day of.
- Pack Easily Accessible Moving Duffels: It’s likely you won’t want to unpack or search through boxes once you’ve moved in. In the days where you begin to settle into your new home, it pays to have a few packed duffels with all your family’s daily essentials so they are easily accessible after your move.
- Safety First: Change the locks on all doors and update any security systems or pass codes to secure your home and ensure no one but those in your family can gain access. Also be sure to check all the carbon monoxide and smoke detectors prior to moving in and make sure they are strategically placed and in working order.
- Final Walkthrough & Clean Up: Do a final walkthrough of your old property to make sure you haven’t overlooked or forgotten anything. Also be sure to clean up your new home before the move to avoid additional clutter or difficulty when you move!
Now that you’re aware of all the ‘Must Do’s Before Moving,’ you can tackle your move with confidence and be rest assured that nothing will be overlooked. For more advice on how to enter your move with ease, or if your have any questions regarding your real estate needs, I’m here to help!