6 Easy To Do Bathroom Makeovers!
So, you’ve just bought your new home, but the bathroom needs some work! Wanting to make your bathroom look fantastic, doesn’t always mean a major renovation. All you need is a creative vision, a budget and the determination to make it happen your way! But, if you need a little inspiration, here’s how to get started!
- Paint. You may want to use neutral tones to keep things crisp and warm, or maybe you want to liven the room up by using some colour. Either way, a fresh coat of paint will make any room look better! It’s as simple as that.
- If necessary, update the sink and toilet. This is particularly true for older homes with outdated plumbing fixtures. Color, cost and practically are all big considerations. For the toilet, in most cases keeping things simple is the best way to go. An affordable white ceramic fixture has a great sheen and can make the room look cleaner and newly renovated. As for the sink, there are many styles to choose from. But you’ll want to take into consideration how big your space is and who will be using the room. For example, a small half bath on the main level is often used by guests and won’t have much workable room. In this case, a pedestal sink or semirecessed sink might be the best option. However, the master bathroom or family bathroom will have more traffic and therefore more counter space to work with. You’ll want to choose a style that gets the job done and looks good doing it. Whether this be a sink that sits above the vanity, or is integrated below, it’s really all about personal preference here. Do your research and choose what fixtures best suits you and your family’s needs. If you have some basic plumbing knowledge, you can even complete this project on your own. Otherwise, you can partner with a plumbing contractor to get the job done.
- Buy new decor. I love this part of a room makeover! Buying new décor is a surefire way to make the room look better and give it your own personal touch. Chuck out that drab old shower curtain and replace it with a pattern curtain, or a curtain with colour or maybe both! Accessorize with new towels, window coverings, mats, frames, new soap dispensers or soap dishes. Get some candles for ambiance and maybe greenery, like a small potted succulent, to freshen things up. Also, deciding on a colour scheme will give you some direction on what décor to choose. Need more inspiration, check out online platforms like Instagram and Pinterest for some great ideas and hacks!
- Replace the vanity mirror. Even if there are no visible scratches, an older mirror is like an old pair of glasses. It can become foggy and dated. No amount of cleaning will make it any clearer or more in style. When ordering a replacement mirror, be sure that your measurements are exact and that you’re choosing a mirror that frames your tastes.
- Install new hardware. Replacing cabinet hardware may not seem like much of a change. However, it can have a surprisingly big impact on the bathroom’s appearance. Shiny new hardware is like jewelry. It the gorgeous finishing touch to your bathroom’s new look! You may choose to go with something classic, or more modern and sleeker depending on the aesthetic you’ve chosen for the space.
- Adding tasteful storage. So, you’ve done all the leg work, but now it’s about reigning in those final touches. By this I mean, tidy, tidy, tidy! It’s dangerously easy to allow empty shampoo bottles to pile up in the shower, or have clutter collect on the vanity. But everything should have its place, and that includes your daily toiletries. Install a shower rack and be sure to recycle your shower products as you finish them. Place baskets under your sink cabinet for toiletries and install a second shelf to stay organized. Add shelving to the wall or purchase a movable cabinet unit for extra space to store items. Remember, while it’s nice to see a room that looks lived in, clutter can be a bathroom’s worst enemy! Your bathroom is where you start your day, so make it a room that will inspire you! It can be your own little oasis, with just a few simple bathrooms improvements that can all be done affordably and in just one or two days of work! Good luck and happy makeover!Need more one on one tips to get your bathroom looking great? Or are you or someone you know thinking of buying or selling? Contact me today to get the conversation started.